|courtesy Huntington Post|
Warning- lots of nonsense in this post. Read at your own peril. ;-)
Earlier today, I re-posted this article on Facebook:
The article was satire, but still funny. And intriguing. As technology develops, we'll inevitably come to the point of producing machines that can closely approximate humans.
And in all likelihood, we'll use those machines for sex. Isn't that what electronic vibrating devices, motion pictures, telephones, the VHS cassette, and the Internet taught us- we'll adapt technology to use for sexual purposes?
Contrary to popular belief, capitalism doesn't drive technological advancement. The desire to have better and/or more sex drives technological development.
So the sex robots- how close are we? As it turns out, the Japanese are leading the way:
This idea brings up some interesting questions. Some may harp on the morality of the whole issue, which I personally believe is dumb. What you do in the privacy of your own bedroom blah, blah, blah. A sex robot isn't going to precipitate the downfall of society. I'm more interested in more likely issues, such as:
- Would it be more economical to own, or would a lease-with-option-to-buy be more realistic? [this topic was discussed in the last "morality" article linked above]
- If you're married, would it be considered a threesome? Or cheating if one spouse wasn't involved?
- If you're single, how would you introduce the FuckBot 3000 to potential mates?
- Would the State of California figure out a way to tax you for every sexual act?
- Would you fall in love with your robot? Personally I doubt this would happen in the absence of pheromones, but suppose those could be released by the robot.
- Would the robot fall in love with you, ala the original linked article?
- Would the robot eventually start nagging you for dumb shit?
- Would this be mostly a male phenomenon, or would females also be interested in the robot? Am I sexist for assuming that? Worse, am I THAT out of touch with what's really going through women's heads?
- Will we end up like this dude?
What do you think? Would you buy a sex robot? How would any of these issues be resolved? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section!